[FFmpeg-user] How to interpret the result of idet filter?

Wesley Wen delbin.wen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 10:08:46 CET 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:55 PM Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Wesley Wen <delbin.wen <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What I'm interested is -frames:v 2000 and 5000 both
> > report 1037 progressive frames, does it mean the
> > content is progressive/interlaced mixed?
>
> > I did not get a chance to look at the frames with
> > video analyzer yet.
>
> Not necessarily related: Visual inspection always
> beats a video analyzer if you want to know if a
> video is interlaced.
>
> > But I believe the video is interlaced by viewing
> > it with VLC; there is combing noise if
> > deinterlacer is turned off.
>
> Please provide the sample.
> (Or ask yourself: Is the video starting with
> long still frames? Like the intro of a movie?)
>
> Yes. The video starts with few seconds still logo. There is motion there
but I can't easily tell if they are interlaced frames. But starting from
feature film, combing noise can be easily observed.

The input codec is MPEG-2, I'm thinking to use FFprobe to see if frames are
marked as interlaced.
ffprobe -show_frames -select_streams v -i /tmp/clip.mpg 2>&1 | grep -c
interlaced_frame=1