[FFmpeg-user] Questions about readout important metadata from DPX files ("logarthmic/linear") and recreate DPX with same metadata

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon Mar 9 21:35:27 CET 2015

>>> (This is not the first time that I am slightly
>>> surprised people use FFmpeg to prove that an
>>> encoder of FFmpeg is lossless.)
>>
>> Why is this slightly surprising?
>
> Assuming this is done to rule out bugs
> in FFmpeg:
> I find it unlikely that ffv1 is not lossless
> and that you will find out like this (as
> opposed to feed random data to the codec).

Using framemd5 verification after ffv1 encoding, I’ve found about 3 frames that weren’t lossless. This is out of probably millions of frames, but computer problems happen. In all of the cases the a local computer was using an input and an output that were accessed over a network and re-running the process a second time produced an error-free output.
The flac utility has a --verify option for this level of paranoia so that the file written is assessed. I added an enhancement ticket for a similar approach in ffmpeg here: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2866 <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2866>. The issue is hard to reproduce as reproduction usually involves huge amounts of encoding.

This is true with the input but not with this output. This is exactly how we found the libopenjpeg bug referenced here: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3745 <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3745>. The framemd5 of the original file represents the properly decoded frame but the corresponding framemd5 of the improperly decoded jpeg2000 frame gives a different framemd5 value.

> A bug in both gm and FFmpeg that leads to
> identical output seems less likely to me.

Certainly true.
dave