[FFmpeg-user] Questions about readout important metadata from DPX files ("logarthmic/linear") and recreate DPX with same metadata

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 9 14:24:38 CET 2015

Christoph Gerstbauer <christophgerstbauer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> As far as I tested I can say (for the
> ffv1-supported pixelformats "gbrp10le" and
> "gbrp12le") it works lossless. All FrameMD5s
> are equal:

(This is not the first time that I am slightly
surprised people use FFmpeg to prove that an
encoder of FFmpeg is lossless.)

> The Original has LOGARITHMIC 10bit (RGB 10bit log)

FFmpeg does not support logarithmic dpx
afaict.
If this is really a feature that would
help you, it would be possible to force
the "logarithmic" flag on encoding (but
I am not convinced this is really useful).

(It is of course trivial to read the
information from the file but I wonder
how it would be useful given that FFmpeg
doesn't know what to do with the
information.)

Consider to upload a sample (or post a
gm command line).