[FFmpeg-user] what program to use to grab device and send to ffserver?

Ricardo Kleemann ricardo at americasnet.com
Tue Jun 23 03:19:29 CEST 2015

Hello Arnaud,

Thanks for the great suggestion, I will give it a try.

More below…

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 5:28 AM, Arnaud Wijns <arnaud.wijns at ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>
> Hello Ricardo,
>
> I am working on a project which uses the same devices for the same purpose.
>
> You can use both bmdtools (with pipe to FFMPEG) or decklink support for FFMPEG (the second solution is easier and works better imo).
>
> 1) Install the Mac driver for BMD (BMD Desktop)

I assume you mean the standard desktop video driver (which is installed together with Media Express)?

> 2) Download the Decklink SDK (from https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/download/f3e35f03b97440c4893fdf7e0dfdf97c/Mac%20OS%20X)

Where should I unzip the sdks, does it matter?

> 3) Install all dependencies for FFMPEG (use Brew as explained in the FFMPEG compilation guide for Mac OS)
> —> brew install automake fdk-aac git lame libass libtool libvorbis libvpx \
>       opus sdl shtool texi2html theora wget x264 xvid yasm

If I’ve run brew before to install the stuff should I remove and reinstall?

> 4) Download FFMPEG from Git
> —> git clone git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git ffmpeg
>       cd ffmpeg
> 5) Prepare the configuration file (adapt according to your needs BUT —enable-deckling is required for BMD). Adapt the path for your Decklink SDK
> —> ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libass \
> --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus \
> --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-decklink --extra-cflags=-I/somepath/blackmagicsdk/Mac/include --extra-ldflags=-L/somepath/blackmagicsdk/Mac/include
> 6) If you use Mac OS X 10.9 or above, edit « config.mak »
> —> vi config.mak
> 	Remove all references to « -std=c99 » (there are 2)
> 7) Edit DeckLinkAPIDispatch.cpp (in /somepath/blackmagicsdk/Mac/include)
> —> add the word "static" to the beginning of lines 56, 77, and 157
> 56: void     InitDeckLinkAPI (void)
> 77: bool            IsDeckLinkAPIPresent (void)
> 157: void InitBMDStreamingAPI(void)
> 8) Make && sudo make install
>
> Now that FFMPEG in installed with Decklink support, you can get the audio-video stream from your BMD devices directly in FFMPEG.
>
> Use the following commands:
>>> ffmpeg -f decklink -list_devices 1 -i dummy
>>> ffmpeg -f decklink -list_formats 1 -i ‘UltraStudio Mini Recorder’
>>> ffmpeg -f decklink -i ‘UltraStudio Mini Recorder at 16’ output.mov

Thanks again!!

I’m sure I’ll soon be writing with more requests for assistance ;-)

Ricardo