[FFmpeg-user] feature request: show if PCM audio is going to "wav" output or not.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Jun 20 16:28:58 CEST 2015

Hi Roger,

On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 08:04:54 -0600, Roger Pack wrote:

> Yeah, I just wish it were called it out more than just you assuming
> it will be using the file extension...

This part is _not_ the extention, it's the format being called out:

> >> Output #0, s16le, to 'out.2.raw':
                ^^^^^
> >> Output #0, wav, to 'out.2.wav':
                ^^^
I think that's what Carl Eugen was referring to. :)
Indeed, if you force the output format with "-f", you can use whatever
extension you like (I think). ffmpeg will report to be doing whatever
you told it to, or which defaults it is using if you didn't say
anything.

> >> Suggestion/feature request: output like this:
> >>  Stream #0:1 -> #0:0 (ac3 -> pcm_s16le [wav])

The stream's codec is _not_ the format/container.

Moritz