[FFmpeg-user] Header files not found in libavformat/tls_securetransport.c

Danny Mitchell fishcustard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 17:12:54 CEST 2015

This may be an mplayer problem, but it stops ffmpeg from compiling, so
I'll ask here first.

I've downloaded the latest source release of ffmpeg (2.7) and the
snapshot linked at ffmpeg.org/download.html, and the latest mplayer
snapshot from mplayerhq.hu. If I follow the instructions at
trac.ffmpeg.org//wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu I can build ffmpeg
cleanly, and it seems to work - at least its done everything I've
asked it to.

I've also tried to build mplayer, which uses ffmpeg. mplayer won't use
an already-compiled ffmpeg, but uses its own configuration invocation,
and requires a fresh ffmpeg source tree located in .../mplayer/ffmpeg.
Compilation of ffmpeg stops when the preprocessor sees the lines
#include <Security/Security.h>
#include <Security/SecureTransport.h>
#include <CoreFoundation/CoreFoundation.h>

at the top of libavformat/tls_securetransport.c and can't find the
files. I also can't find them on my (debian squeeze) system. An
internet search suggests that these files are Apple iOS/MacOSX headers
for Apple-specific apps - the CoreFoundation one seems to be from
Apple's Core Foundation library, an Apple-supplied mostly-open-source,
partly cross-platform API. I can't find anything in the ffmpeg
documentation regarding these three files. Surrounding them with
#ifdef/#endif's doesn't work because some identifiers are defined in
them. I've tried explicitly disabling tls and GNUtls, but ld borks
with 'undeclared identifier' errors on tls- and ssl- functions. Last
time I built ffmpeg and mplayer (July 2014) it built cleanly on the
same system, so these are relatively recent additions.

Clearly I need to install something else. What?
Why isn't there anything in the documentation or compilation
instructions regarding these prerequesites? (Or is there, and I've
just not seen it?)

I can post complete configure and/or make logs, if it'll help.

Thanks