[FFmpeg-user] best FFMPEG encoding and encoding a file to fast start

Henk D. Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon Jun 8 12:32:25 CEST 2015

On 08 Jun 2015, at 04:28, Dani A <danix4u-at-yahoo.com at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> Sorry I have been looking for days and I could not find any valuable info...And yes I heard of google!
>
> So it the below right or I am missing something...
> ffmpeg -i input.avi -movflags +faststart output.mp4
Have you tried that and what is the result ?
In your first post you said you want to lower file size.
What is the current size of the avi. How is it encoded, with what codec, what’s the resolution ?
Do you want to keep the resolution the same ?
What devices/players should be able to play this file ?
All these questions have to be answered to know if you’ll get what you want.
ffmpeg -i input.avi -c:v libx264  -movflags +faststart output.mp4
will probably result in an smaller file, but I’ve no idea if that is enough, or what is needed. I can’t find my crystal ball at the moment.