[FFmpeg-user] Can't get TLS to work

Rony Pony rony1623 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 23:46:30 CEST 2015

Hello,

I want to stream from a server an encrypted video to be received and
displayed in an app.

I found documentation that seems to indicate ffmpeg supports TLS:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-protocols.html#tls

First when running a local server and client via tcp as follows, all works
fine:

Terminal 1:
ffmpeg -re -i bikerace.mkv -vcodec libx264 -f mpegts tcp://
0.0.0.0:5000?listen

Terminal 2:
ffplay tcp:/0.0.0.0:5000

When running a similar command trying to use tls as indicated in the
documentation, the server side doesn't seem quite right, though no error,
and the client just fails with a "Protocol not found" error.

Here are the commands:

Terminal 1:
ffmpeg -re -i bikerace.mkv -vcodec libx264 -f mpegts tls://
0.0.0.0:5000?listen&cert=server.crt&key=server.key

Terminal 2:
ffplay tls:/0.0.0.0:5000

What am I doing wrong? is tls really supported? Or is the doc a little bit
ahead of itself?

Thanks!