[FFmpeg-user] Convert .256 to avi with audio

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jul 29 22:45:50 CEST 2015

(André, your subject is wrong. ;-))

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 15:33:31 -0500, Steve Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM, André Luís Duarte
> <andrelduarte-at-yahoo.com.br at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> Probably shouldn't run ffmpeg as root, as your resulting video will be
> owned by root and can easily cause all kinds of permission issues.

There should _never_ be a need for this. If ffmpeg can't access a
device or file, fix that file's permissions.

> What I'm guessing is that the "-f H264" is telling ffmpeg that you
> want to export a .264 container format - which only contains video

No, it was given as an option _before_ "-i", so it's telling ffmpeg to
_import_ the given file as a raw H.264 stream. And that doesn't work
too well, because it can't be such a raw video if it contains audio.

As Steve suggested, just let ffmpeg detect the input itself.

To analyze the overall audio volume:
$ ffmpeg -i inputfile -vn -af volumedetect -f null -

(ffmpeg can also create graphs of the audio levels or waveforms over
time. Otherwise, you may want something like audacity.)

Moritz