[FFmpeg-user] Running multiple ffmpeg commands with minimal loss in quality

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Jul 28 17:09:31 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 15:28:33 +0100, MrNice wrote:
> So 2 questions:
> - What are the command options to add to get x264 lossless?
> -preset fast -qp 0 , only/good?

Well documented here, I believe:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264#LosslessH.264

> - How I can know FFV1 is version 1.3?

When encoding: "-level 3".
When decoding: I pass on this question. Neither ffmpeg nor ffprobe tell
_me_ the difference[*], while mediainfo (I know: yuck) does note the
difference in "Format version" ("1" vs. "3.4").

But why would you care? It's just an intermediate format for you,
right. Use the fastest! (I still prefer a filter chain, when possible.
;-))

Moritz

[*] ffprobe -show_format, ffprobe -show_streams, no extra flags
    given - or found, for that matter