[FFmpeg-user] Inserting Seekable Offsets in m4a Audio File

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 16:48:07 CEST 2015

On 27/07/15 09:31, Frank Tetzel wrote:

>>> I cannot answer your question because I do
>>> not know how to try "seeking" from a console.
>>
>> (I don't understand what you are saying here.)
>>
>> Did you try playing your input file with ffplay?
>> Does it play? Did you try to seek?
>> Did you try to wildly click into the window that
>> opened? (Did a window open?)
>> Did you try to press all buttons on your keyboard
>> that might make sense when trying to seek?
>
> Before trying more than 100 keys, just have a look here:
> https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffplay.html#While-playing

Hi Frank,
Very many thanks, I hadn't read to the very end of man pages.  Next time
I will know better.

I found through trial and error that the Page Up and Page Down gave +/-
600 secs.  The arrows I hadn't worked out but the point is the seek
function is there and working, as it does with smplayer etc. so it must
be something in the file which only Linn devices need.

I want to find out more about the differences between the files where
seek works using Linn renderer and those where it does not and I need to
understand the seek mechanism.

The Linn guy suggests there are regular markers throughout file but that
doesn't seem right.  I would have thought times were calculated from
frame rates but I really have no idea. More reading on a steep learning
curve for me.  If you have any thoughts please point me in right direction.
Many thanks once again,
Budgie.