[FFmpeg-user] Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jul 25 17:26:14 CEST 2015

MrNice <wxcvbn2006 <at> iol.ie> writes:

> I am confused. What should be the best codec for
> my usage: FFV1, x264, Huffyuv, other?

I believe I suggested "-vcodec mpeg2video -mbd 2 -qscale 2"
and I didn't change my opinion;-)

ffv1 is lossless, mpeg2video is not and x264 is not
lossless unless you tell it to be.

Both regarding quality and filesize, I would not suggest
a lossless encoding from your low-quality source, but a
high-quality lossy encoding.

(x264 of course allows smaller filesizes than mpeg2video
for the same quality, so you can safely choose it instead.)