[FFmpeg-user] Converting a cassette audio tape (Lecture) to mp3

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 20:20:25 CEST 2015

On 07/12/2015 12:07 PM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 11:44:48 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
>> I am loath to updating because I really do not feel the need to.
>> So far, I have 3rd party apps that I built (with some necessary mods)
>> on f20. I do not wish to go through all the rigmarole again on f22 or
>> the impending f23.
> Security, my friend! It you don't like the Fedora life-cycle, use
> something LTS like CentOS.
>
>> On the laptop, I have the stereo audio in and audio out.
>> I also have the necessary cable.
> I used the pulseaudio volume control GUI to select line as input. Then
> I did
> $ pacmd list-sources
> to find the number of the device with the description "Built-in Audio
> Analog Stereo", which is '2' in my case. Then I put '2' as input here:
> $ ffmpeg -f pulse -i 2 -c:a libmp3lame recorded.mp3
> This records forever until you press 'q'. It uses some default settings
> which may or may not be okay for you.
>
> You should probably google for "capturing audio linux" to figure out
> about alsa and pulseaudio if this doesn't work for you. ffmpeg supports
> both if compiled to do so.
>
> Moritz
OK, so of the 2 ffmpeg's I have installed, I hope one of them will
support either pulse or alsa.
I will look at other ffmpeg command line options that might be needed
to enhance the quality of the recording. As you well know, the audio
quality (or more precisely, lack thereof) of tapes and the ambient noises
during tape recording, and even the audio quirks of the microphone itself
contribute greatly to the noise factor.

Kind regards,

JD