[FFmpeg-user] Test if ProRes 4444 are real 12bit

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Sun Jan 25 13:38:34 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 7:11 PM, Christoph Gerstbauer <
christophgerstbauer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to test ifthe ProRes4444 of the ARRI Alexa are real 12 Bit? Is
> there method to proove it with ffmpeg?
>
> AS far as I know ffmpeg is only ready to open prores with yuv422p10le and
> yuv444p10le (10bit), but no 12bit.

Last time I checked/tried, it wasn't possible. The best I got was a
statement by one developer that, looking at the code, it would be
theoretically possible to support more than 10bit, so my understanding is
that ffmpeg currently destroys any headroom beyond 10bit but since I am not
qualified enough to read the code, I cannot be 100% sure.