[FFmpeg-user] Transcode on HTTP requests

Björn Fischer privat at bjorn-fischer.de
Sat Jan 24 13:08:58 CET 2015

Hi

I'm using ffmpeg to transcode and map the audio track of a .mkv file to stream it to a browser via HTTP.

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -strict experimental -c:v copy -c:a aac -b:a 120k output.mkv

After that I'm able to stream it with a node server to a browser including the ability to jump forward with HTTP partials.

Now I'm looking for a way to transcode in real time on every HTTP request. I use nodes fluent ffmpeg module which works for live streams. For VOD I need to know the size of the output file in advance. Moreover I need to able to calculate a time offset of a partial request which is also in bytes.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Björn