[FFmpeg-user] X264 and Smooth Text

Robert Nagy ronag89 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 07:49:13 CET 2015

I'm encoding some video using x264 to Main 3.2 for streaming playback on
Apple devices.

The video contains quite a bit of text which ends up with rather non smooth
edges. Which there probably is not much to do about in Main profile.

However, at the first 1-2 seconds of the video the text looks quite a bit
worse and then "pops" to better quality.

Is there some setting I can use so that x264 uses a higher bitrate at the
beginning of a clip as to avoid the "pop".

I'm using settings along the following lines right now:

ffmpeg -i in.mov -codec:v libx264 -crf 18 -maxrate 3M -bufsize 12M -preset
faster -profile:v main -level 3.2 out.mov