[FFmpeg-user] Extracting I P B frames from a mpg video

Rohit powerohit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 08:46:26 CET 2015

The command line below from the ffmpeg

ffprobe -show_frames -pretty delta.mpg | grep 'pict_type' > pict_type.txt

writes all the frame types to the file pict_type.txt. I counted the no of
frames in the text file and I found out that there are 17 I frames, 133 B
frames and 51 P frames. Now there is another command

ffmpeg -i delta.mpg -vf select="eq(pict_type\,PICT_TYPE_I)" -s 400x300 -f
image2
frame.mpg-%03d.tif

which should extract all the I frames(as per -vf
select="eq(pict_type\,PICT_TYPE_I)" ) in the input file. But I got 197
frames instead of 17 from this command and it looked like command has just
shown me all the frames.

The first command output infers that there are 17 I frames but when I tried
to extract only I frames I got 197!! What might have gone wrong??