[FFmpeg-user] Fastest lossless codec and settings.

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sat Jan 3 16:45:01 CET 2015

On 01/02/2015 01:31 PM, Zsolt wrote:
> [...] So far UT-Video seemed to be the fastest.

Interesting.
I haven't had time to check out UT-Video yet, and my last knowledge was
that most of the information about it is in Japanese only :(
I'd be curious to hear about your experiences with it.

> Testing codecs is hindered by the lack of documentation for settings
> for the different formats. Only FFV1 has some sort of guide
> <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/FFV1>, but even that neglects to
> specify how the different settings affect encoding speed and filesize.

Unfortunately, you're right.

I've done parameter/size comparisons for FFV1 [1]. The tables are a bit
hard to read at first, but I found it difficult to process the amount of
measurement data gathered during the tests. The combination
possibilities are vast.
Compression performance varies, depending on the source material. In
order to get a meaningful impression of FFV1's capabilities, I therefore
ran it on the whole set of videos from the "Derf's Collection" [2].

Haven't had time to do speed benchmarking, since that requires a
properly documented setup with as little interference as possible during
encoding.
I've done speed/size comparisons for a limited set of lossless codecs
suitable for long-term preservation [3].

Which resolution are you planning to capture?

Regards,
Pb