[FFmpeg-user] Reduce mux overhead of HLS stream creation

Wesley Wen delbin.wen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 05:38:47 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm using FFmpeg to create HLS stream, but noticed significant TS muxing
overhead (especially for low bitrate condition). I used Elecard Stream
Analyzer to look at the stream and came up some questions.

1. Is it possible to disable Service Description Table? Apple's
mediafilesegmenter does not output it.
2. Is it possible to lower the number of PSI packets? I noticed FFmpeg put
more PSI (PAT/PMT) packets than Apple's.
3. Any other techniques to apply to reduce mux overhead (with FFmpeg on
Ubuntu)? Below is the command we use:

ffmpeg -loglevel fatal -y -i audio_p0.mp4 -i video_p0.mp4 -dn -sn -threads
0 -map 0:0 -map 1:0 -f ssegment -segment_time 5.005 -segment_list p0.m3u8
-segment_list_entry_prefix p0/ -segment_format mpegts -c:v copy -c:a copy
-vbsf h264_mp4toannexb -flags -global_header p0/%d.ts

Thanks,
Wesley