[FFmpeg-user] ProRes change framerate

Carles Vila cvilad at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:04:47 CET 2015

On 30 December 2015 at 00:11, Fabrice Saudoyez <
fabrice.saudoyez at staytuned.be> wrote:

> Any possibility without re-encoding ?
> Just copy the frames ?
>

> On 30/12/15 00:04, "ffmpeg-user on behalf of Carl Eugen Hoyos" <
> ffmpeg-user-bounces at ffmpeg.org on behalf of cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
> >Fabrice Saudoyez <fabrice.saudoyez <at> staytuned.be> writes:
> >
> >> I would like to copy a ProRes file to another proves file
> >> changing the framerate.
> >> But in changing the frame rate I don’t want to
> >> interpolate the frames.
> >
> >Do you want to change playback speed? This is possible
> >with the setpts filter but needs reencoding.
> >
> >Carl Eugen

I add myself to the request of framerate change without reencoding. We use
it all the time at work using Cinema Tools.

I'm sure this is a very specific feature only possible in the quicktime mov
wrapper. It is controlled by changing metadata or header info.
One has to consider also the change in audio sample rate by the same ratio.
Anyway if it helps I can provide the same sample movie at different fps,
conversion made with Cinema Tools.

BTW, in Cinema Tools, this process (understandably) only works with
intra-frame codecs (prores...) and PCM audio.