[FFmpeg-user] Pullup old MPEG-2

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Dec 21 20:09:02 CET 2015

Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins-at-yahoo.com <at> ffmpeg.org> writes:

> I've encountered the following on dvds:
>
> 1) 24 fps labeled 30fps
> 2) 24 fps telecined to 30fps
> 6) a mix of 1 & 2 in the same title

> The ffmpeg commands I use are:
> 1) -r 24000/1001 (I've also used -fps=24000/1001,
> but -r works better for me for this)

The fps filter has (imo very) strange characteristics,
some may call it broken: We have input files for which
it alternatingly drops and duplicates frames, it seems
not have a sufficient "buffer".
(But this is unrelated to pulllup / pulldown.)

> 6) -vf pullup,dejudder,fps=fps=24000/1001:round=zero

There is now (it was there before, but nobody realized
afaict):
-vf dejudder,fps=30000/1001,fieldmatch,decimate

> You have to use your eyes.

There is of course the idet filter that allows to
detect the non-mixed cases.

Carl Eugen

PS: A bug in decimate affecting the first five frames
of the output stream was reported and should be fixed
soon.