[FFmpeg-user] Pullup old MPEG-2

Laine Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 21 01:43:07 CET 2015

On 12/20/15, 5:01 PM, "ffmpeg-user on behalf of Carl Eugen Hoyos" <ffmpeg-user-bounces at ffmpeg.org on behalf of cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

>> >This is progressive content, you cannot use an
>> >inverse telecine filter on it (and expect useful
>> >output).
>>
>> After receiving this, I tried
>> -vf yadif=deint=interlaced -r 24000/1001
>
>It of course (also) makes no sense to use a
>deinterlace filter on progressive content.
>Note that contrary to an inverse teleci
>filter, a deinterlace filter permanently
>damages the original stream.
>There is no guarantee that using the deint
>option helps, the information is often not
>available.

 The reason I originally included my mencoder recipe was that I had hoped it could provide clues for finding an ffmpeg equivalent that deals as favorably with pullup for as many different types of input. My mencoder method's only real deficiency (other than being dependent on deprecated software) is that I always get underruns if I try to copy audio rather than encode. The ffmpeg method I had already developed works pretty well, with the apparent exception of certain 4x3 DVD titles such as the one for which I provided the excerpt.

Laine