[FFmpeg-user] Make the next stream continue where the previous one left off

Ivan Pozdeev ivan_pozdeev at mail.ru
Mon Dec 14 20:43:55 CET 2015

> On 14 Dec 2015, at 18:12, Ivan Pozdeev <ivan_pozdeev at mail.ru> wrote:

>> Hello Ffmpeg-user,
>>
>> I've recently needed to repack a video file to a FAT32 volume - so, 4GB file
>> size limit. So, I'd have liked to output the result into consecutive parts not
>> exceeding this size - like archivers do.
>>
>> The files need to be playable, so cutting raw standard output is not an option
>> (and would not anyway 'cuz ffmpeg needs the output to be seekable).
>>
>> The only relevant options I found in docs & on the Net are:
>>
>> - -ss & -t - split on predetermined time - then I need to know the time (thus
>> the exact average bitrate) beforehand
>> -fs - just stops output for the streamat specified size
> filesize/duration(in seconds) gives you the average bitrate incl. audio and
> overhead. From this you can calculate how many seconds * found bitrate will total 4GB.

I already mentioned this just above. This requires me to make one such 4GB part
beforehand. And this doesn't insure me from the next part going just above the
boundary due to different footage.

In any case, what I have now requires me to complete one part before I can issue
the command line for the next.
This requires me to either manually interfere after a few hours or parse
the output with a script. Besides, it will probably result in imprecise splits:
does the last timestamp in output have enough precision to continue exactly at
the same point?

This is good enough for my specific case (except the script requirement -
writing and debugging one each time is far from being optimal), but I still
wonder if there are any better possibilities.