[FFmpeg-user] rebroadcasting an m3u8 stream (HLS)

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Dec 2 13:03:50 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 11:31:01 +0100, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> Furthermore, is there anything that can be copied from the stream,
> despite decryption? (As I mentioned, I know little about how this
> encryption works.) If decryption happens at container level, you could
> copy the streams ("-c copy"), which is very fast. If decryption happens
> at stream level, but audio is unencrypted, you can at least copy the
> audio: "-c:a copy".

I took the time to google now. ;-) If the streams mentioned here are
indeed encrypted:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/13265943

then I manage to get a meaningful stream copy ("-c copy") using ffmpeg,
e.g. from this one:
http://content.jwplatform.com/manifests/vM7nH0Kl.m3u8

So my recommendation might be: If the format is okay for your client,
you should be able to stream copy, which uses much less resources than
re-encoding.

Moritz