[FFmpeg-user] How to embed SCC closed caption file into a video file mov/mp4/mpg

Marcelo Boufleur mboufleur at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:46:04 CEST 2015

> IMHO the most common needed scenario for scc is to embed scc as
> CEA-708/608 data into mpeg2video (such as XDCam). If helpful I can provide
> a short XDCam sample without captions, a corresponding scc file, and the
> mux result of captions within xdam.

I believe MXF closed captions work similarly to Transport Stream CC
content: Closed Caption is separated from video, and is present in a
different track.

I don't have a sample here, but according to this post
<https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2406>, CC appears as a
SMPTE 436M data track in MXF content.

Aside from that, this page from Intel
<https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/08/18/how-to-add-closed-caption-messages-in-avc-and-mpeg2-streams>
that describes a procedure, along with the code needed, to insert and
display CC for H.264 using SEI messages; or MPEG-2 with user data.