[FFmpeg-user] Adding embedded metadata to v210.mov

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Aug 4 18:05:27 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 10:21:30 -0400, Dave Rice wrote:
> And see around here for an idea of what metadata is supported in
> quicktime:
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=libavformat/mov.c;h=154d2f83f5819298d6dbd1107d35b27d192d2117;hb=HEAD#l269.

Valuable link. :-)

> There are some other tools that allow editing in place on quicktime
> by junking the moov atom and appending a new one, perhaps
> http://www.omino.com/sw/qt_tools/man/qt_info.html or apple's
> automator.

Ah, I didn't know about qt_tools. Does the source build on Linux?

AtomicParsley (which does build on Linux, I have built mine) apparently
allows to set arbitrary atoms. Check its "--uuid-help" page.[1]

HTH,
Moritz

[1] Short extract:

 Setting a user-defined 'uuid' private extention tags will appear in "moov.udta.meta"). These will
 only be read by AtomicParsley & can be set irrespective of file branding. The form of uuid that AP
 is a v5 uuid generated from a sha1 hash of an atom name in an 'AtomicParsley.sf.net' namespace.
[...]
  Define & set an arbitrary atom with a text data or embed a file:
  --meta-uuid        There are two forms: 1 for text & 1 for file operations
         setting text form:
         --meta-uuid   (atom) "text" (str)         "atom" = 4 character atom name of your choice
                                                     str is whatever text you want to set
         file embedding form:
         --meta-uuid   (atom) "file" (/path) [description="foo"] [mime-type="foo/moof"]
                                                     "atom" = 4 character atom name of your choice
                                                     /path = path to the file that will be embedded*
                                                     description = optional description of the file
                                                               default is "[none]"
                                                     mime-type = optional mime type for the file
                                                               default is "none"
                                                               Note: no auto-disocevery of mime type
                                                                     if you know/want it: supply it.
                                               *Note: a file extension (/path/file.ext) is required