[FFmpeg-user] mux raw format from pipe

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Apr 17 08:31:26 CEST 2015

Ran Shalit <ranshalit <at> gmail.com> writes:

> if there'se a way to use ffmpeg for just muxing of
> encoded frames given from some pipe or device, so
> that ffmpeg will only do the muxing (with no
> encoding) and stream to http for example i.e. raw
> frames from pipe -> ---- Muxing  ----> http stream

(Short answer: Use -vcodec copy)

The issue here is that "http stream" is not a
"format" into which you can mux. And as we already
discussed, you cannot mux every codec into every
container (this has nothing to do with FFmpeg),
particularly not raw video frames into mpeg-ts.

Generally, please don't ask "can I put VC-1 into
mpeg-ts with FFmpeg?" but instead "I tried to put
VC-1 into mpeg-ts with FFmpeg, please see my
command line together with the complete, uncut
console output below, but it doesn't work."