[FFmpeg-user] libvo-amrwbenc.so.0: cannot open shared object file

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 30 12:14:05 CEST 2014

Am 30.09.2014 um 11:26 schrieb Claudiu Rad:
> On 9/30/2014 12:09 PM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:03:29 +0300, Claudiu Rad wrote:
>>> what is so wrong about building ffmpeg static binaries as root on a
>> The other way around: What's wrong with building as non-root?
>>
>> For one, as root, you risk ruining your system with one wrong command.
>> (Ooops, forgot to specify an install prefix and overwrote the
>> installation. Oops, I issued "rm -rf *" in the wrong directory.) And
>> that's just the simple case.
>>
>> General security rule: Use only as much/many privileges as required at
>> any point in time. Escalate only when necessary. (E.g. "sudo make
>> install" if you happen to install into a location not writable by the
>> regular user.)
>
> Totally agree with you, don't get me wrong.
> But there are cases where it just doesn't matter

that is a bad attitude in general

everytime i hear people argue that way sooner or later
i hear "shit it did matter and i realized too late"

> I have a ffmpeg-build dedicated VM, quickly setup from scratch,
> maybe a snapshot with all in place in case I break something

you may notice it too late

> it's just about the comfort of not bothering to create new
> users, not sudo-ing when you need something

why do you not have a normal user on that VM at all
including the "golden-master" VM from which you
can clone others - sorry but for type ./configure
as root exists no excuse

frankly if you have a proper rpm spec you don't need to
care about anything but drop the new tarball in the
SOURCES folder, edit the version number in the SPEC
and you are done