[FFmpeg-user] A/V synchronization problems

Andy Young Andy.Young at bbcspp.com
Fri Sep 5 17:05:21 CEST 2014

>I have a problem with A/V synchronization when the source signal is
>disturbed. I am using the following command for transcoding my video:
>
>ffmpeg -y -probesize 6000000 -threads 1 -i $filename -vf scale=256:144 -b:v
>192k -acodec libmp3lame -b:a 128k -ac 1 -af aresample=async=1000 -ss 0
>-threads 1 -t 3720 -f avi $filename.avi
>
>(I grabbed part of the stream with wget, and it is available on
>https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B86ie_Sd0O9jRlNnYkU5SlkwNnM if you would
>like to play with it on your own, but this is big file, 1.6GB)
>
>At the beginning of the file the synchronization is OK, but after any
>disturbance the audio is going away from video. It is clearly visible that
>about 20 minute of the file the synchronization is broken.
>
>I was trying also with -vsync otions, but it was even worse, or maybe I
>haven't used them in proper way.
>
>Is this possible to make this better? Could you please help me with this
>problem? Thank you!

I had a look and I think it's just that AVI is not able to store the sync information. It's a really outdated container format, and when I used to use it I seem to recall all sorts of problems with AV sync.

Just trying Matroska fixes things and you get a better quality encode as it defaults to x264 instead of MPEG4 for that container format.

I just changed your command a little but didn't seek to improve it, just fix the xync issue. Presumably you wish to keep the bitrate and frame size very low for a reason.

ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -i ${filename} -vf scale=256:144 -b:v 192k -acodec libmp3lame -b:a 128k -ac 1 -f matroska $filename.mkv

The whole file stays in sync right through to the end in that container format. Take that as a starting point and play from there ...

Regards,

Andy Young.

http://www.bbc.co.uk