[FFmpeg-user] What is the difference between versions of ffmpeg?

skyscanner at gmx.ca skyscanner at gmx.ca
Mon Oct 6 12:08:40 CEST 2014

"Tom Evans" <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, you can go get eggs, flour and sugar and mix it and
> bake it yourself (ffmpeg). This is the option you have chosen. If you
> don't like the steps involved, go to the store instead.

What on earth are you beating this dead horse for?  You're taking the entire analogy to the ridiculous.

> ffmpeg is open source software delivered as source code. If you have
> complaints about how binaries of it are packaged, you are complaining
> in the wrong place - talk to the packager.

As a user of the software - remember, this was supposed to be a list for ffmpeg USERS, though I am starting to think that is false advertising - all I was wanting to know is how to get a newer version.  Someone told me about a precompiled static version.  It works.  I will use it.  I didn't have to buy it.  Problem solved.

And you are being utterly ridiculous beyond belief when you suggest I talk to the packager.  For one thing, as long as I have the static version, I couldn't care less what the packager does.  For another thing, as a user, I have no idea who the packager is.  And even if I did, they are probably worse Linux snobs than some of the people in this group seem to be, and I would get the same crap I am getting here, only worse, because after all, why should they listen to a mere user?  Never mind that they make their software for users, this attitude that many Linux developers seem to have is something you never see in the Windows world.  They make the software, and presumably want people to use it (otherwise they should keep it to themselves), but it's like they can't even take a constructive suggestion for improvement, let alone anything that might be construed as a criticism.  Or, they want you to file a bug report or feature request and then maybe five years later they will get around to actually acting on it, by which time I've usually moved on and found something better.

> If you have complaints about having to compile it to get a supported
> version, you're complaining in the wrong case - no-one here cares, it
> is part of the cost of using ffmpeg that we all (well, apart from
> Phil) agree to.

Phil and ME.  Don't forget me.  I am damn proud to be in Phil's camp in this case, and I had never heard of him prior to encountering this list.  Phil has his head screwed on straight, and you trolls that want to make a mountain out of a molehill really need to find a hobby or something.

I'm sure now you are going to try and convince me that using the static build is wrong somehow, and I'll tell you right now, I don't care.  It works, it solves my problem, and I am happy with it.  The only thing I am not happy about is some of you guys that just have to be so preachy even though none of you have identified yourself as a developer, and therefore you are attempting to speak with authority you don't have.

And anyway, I'm not complaining about having to compile it to get a supported version because I don't care if it's an unsupported version, as long as it will do the one thing I need it to do.  If I can find a version of ffmpeg that does that, I'll use it.  If I could have found a version of libav, or whatever that forked version is, that does what I want I would have happily used that.  I don't care about all this internal drama, I don't care about what is considered "correct" by you or anyone else, I don't care whether you or anyone else thinks I ought to learn how to do something that I have zero interest in, and frankly, if anyone feels I am wrong in thinking this way, I don't care what you think.  I don't care because you are also just mere users like me, and therefore anything you may have to say on the subject is your your own opinion, and I happen to think differently.  If I make a suggestion or a criticism, and you think I'm wrong, I don't care because you are not the person who would ultimately act on or reject it.

And if no one here cares, then why are there so many useless messages posted in this thread, that aren't helping anyone and that aren't going to change my mind in the slightest?  Are your lives so empty that posting crap like this is all you have to do?

Just stop.  Because you are typing to no one that cares!  And you could put your time to better use by actually helping people, instead of creating a pile of rotting, putrid horsemeat!

(No offense intended toward the people who actually did have helpful suggestions).

And now I am going to unsubscribe from this list, at least for a while, because I simply don't care to participate it this type of unproductive and unhelpful discussion, and I don't even want to read any more of this garbage.