[FFmpeg-user] What is the difference between versions of ffmpeg?

skyscanner at gmx.ca skyscanner at gmx.ca
Sat Oct 4 21:25:51 CEST 2014

One more correction...

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 10:03:50 +0000 (UTC), Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> > <skyscanner <at> gmx.ca> writes:
> > > $ ffmpeg -version
> > > ffmpeg version 2.2.2-tessus

> > This is old and not really supported on this mailing list.
> > One is a little too old and unsupported the other
> > ancient.

> Seems strange to me that the "ancient" version seems to work better than the "little too old" version in this particular application, but maybe it has something to do with the different underlying OS. In any event I have no idea how you'd get a newer version for OS X, even if that were important to me, which right now it isn't.

Actually, I got to thinking about it and put two and two together and realized that I must have downloaded that version back in May. from this page:  http://www.evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/

Which is the page linked to from the ffmpeg.org site if you specify that you want "Static builds for OS X Intel 64-bit"

So I grabbed a the newest static build from there and installed it, just to keep current.

But my (rhetorical) question is, if the download page can link to the static builds for OS X, why doesn't it do that for Linux?  It would be a big help if it did!