[FFmpeg-user] Worse quality than mencoder

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Nov 25 18:31:19 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 17:41:21 +0100, Henk D. Schoneveld wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2014, at 21:01, n32 at email.cz wrote:
> > I think this is not the source of the problem: I saw the same bitrate in the
> > time of frame which I visually compared; so there should be another different
> > option. Do you please know what?
> You could check if the ffmpeg and mencoder file sizes match to see if your assumption is true.

>From what I can tell, libx264 embeds its encoder settings into the
resulting movie, whether employed from mencoder or from ffmpeg. As
discussed here:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-October/023982.html

those settings aren't exposed by any programs other than mediainfo, but
you can also see that embedded info doing something like this:

$ strings < out.avi | grep -E "x264.*core"

You should at least compare the settings from mencoder and ffmpeg (and
share the output here), as you/we might get an indicator as to which
setting is leading to bad results.

I also haven't seen the full uncut console output of either encoding command
yet, please do provide. Just in case. :-)

Moritz