[FFmpeg-user] Compiling ffmpeg to be portable

Peter Rennert p.rennert at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 12:51:47 CET 2014

Hi,

I am trying to compile ffmpeg on OS X so that it is portable. To be precise, after compilation, all references within the library should be relative, rather than absolute. My current naive approach was to compile ffmpeg with homebrew and try to copy the files over where I need them. This does not work for files like libavformat, which references libavcodec with its absolute, rather than relative path, which then leads to import errors like

Library not loaded: /usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg/2.4.2/lib/libavcodec.56.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/peter/anaconda/lib/libavformat.56.4.101.dylib

(/Users/peter/anaconda/lib/libavcodec.56.dylib exists. I deleted /usr/local/Cellar/ffmpeg/2.4.2/, so its not a PATH issue)

Is there anything I can setup in the configure file to compile ffmpeg in portable mode?

Thanks,

Peter