[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg record RTMP to FLV

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Nov 6 13:38:59 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 13:21:28 +0100, shacky wrote:

> ffmpeg version 1.2.4 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers

This is a quite old version. I don't know if RTMP support was as good
back then as it is now.

2.4.x is current. please try to get hold of that, or use latest git if
you build your own.

> I'm trying to record some RTMP stream with FFmpeg to a FLV file or
> something else.

The way you're doing it is not optimal.
a) For dumping streams to disk, "mplayer -dumpstream" is the
   recommended path. :-)
b) You're re-encoding. That may or may not be your intention. To retain
   the original quality, use "-c copy".

Actually, answer b) may help you even with your old ffmpeg version.

Moritz