[FFmpeg-user] How can I convert mpeg2 5.1 audio to ac3?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Nov 4 10:38:55 CET 2014

 <bluesky <at> caramail.com> writes:

> ffmpeg -i "originalfile.ts" -c:v copy -c:a ac3 "new.ts"

Complete, uncut console output missing, I don't remember
a question where mediainfo output was useful.

How do you know that your input file contains surround
information? Is it because you have a dolby certified
receiver that allows you to play two-channel audio with
surround effects? In this case, do not reencode audio:
FFmpeg has a Dolby PLII encoder (resampler) but no
decoder, just convince xbmc to not mess with audio and
allow your receiver to do what is necessary.
(Analog input may be required iirc.)