[FFmpeg-user] Quicktime DV MOVs - 2 different SAR informations

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon May 12 23:19:08 CEST 2014

Christoph Gerstbauer <christophgerstbauer <at> gmx.at> writes:

> Fileprobe 1:
> a.) 720x576 [SAR 16:15 DAR 4:3]
> b.) SAR 59:54 DAR 295:216

> Fileprobe 2 has
> a.) 720x576 [SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9]
> b.) SAR 118:81 DAR 295:162

> When I use "-show_frames" the video frames
> have the same SAR like in the "b.)"s.
> But where do the right SAR values (which are
> place in brackets) come from?

Why do you believe that one SAR value is "right"
(and the other wrong)? Both are stored in the
file, one in the container, one in the video
stream.

(Of course one is correct and the other one
isn't but FFmpeg cannot know.)

Note that in your examples, the difference
is negligible afaict; unfortunately there are
samples where the difference is immediately
visible.