[FFmpeg-user] Hooking into MOOV atom move process

Eugene Gekhter egekhter at pixcel.com
Fri Jun 27 15:31:35 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Denys Khanzhyiev <xdenser at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not just directly use option -movflags faststart?

> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anybody know how to hook into this process from Linux command line?
> >
> > Basically, to enable users to start streaming a video before downloading
> > the whole file, after encoding a h.264 video file, the MOOV atom needs to
> > be moved from the end of the file to the beginning of the file. Since we
> > move the file to its final destination right after encoding is finished
> so
> > the user can start using it right away, the whole movie gets corrupted if
> > the MOOV atom has not been properly moved. I initially put in a 5 second
> > sleep then a 30 second sleep into the script, but that is not a blanket
> > solution so I need to figure out a way to hook into the end of the moov
> end
> > process.
> >
> > I hope somebody has a simple solution to this problem.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > *Eugene Gekhter* / CEO
> >
> > (847) 272-8207/ egekhter at pixcel.com
> > *Pixcel* Office: (800) 557-3508
> > 3336 Commercial Ave. / Northbrook, IL 60062
> > http://www.pixcel.com

That is the case, I am using that flag to encode my video, however, as it
says on the website, the move process can take *a while*.
There is this solution for Atomic Parsley or qtfaststart
<http://superuser.com/questions/559372/using-ffmpeg-to-locate-moov-atom> which
could be used to check every x seconds if the there's a preg_match (PHP) on
the output of that process, but I am looking for an ffmpeg-first solution.

Thanks,

*Eugene Gekhter* / CEO

(847) 272-8207/ egekhter at pixcel.com
*Pixcel* Office: (800) 557-3508