[FFmpeg-user] How to use drawtext to overlay dynamic text

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Wed Jun 11 21:53:37 CEST 2014

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:29:02 -0700 (PDT)
Zack Thevenot <zack924 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  I really like the subtitles idea, but I'm having trouble
> getting the subtitles to show. I'm trying both filtering and muxing
> but nothing is showing.
>
> ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf subtitles=sub.srt out.mp4

I'm not sure why this command did not work, but I only looked very
briefly. Can you provide sub.srt file? I'll try to take a closer look
later.

> ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -i sub.srt -codec copy out.mp4

MP4 is generally a poor choice for softsubs. AFAIK, MP4 only officially
supports MPEG-4 Timed Text, but I think you could try using "-c:s
mov_text" in ffmpeg for 3GPP Timed Text which may actually be the same
or similar enough. I don't know; it's confusing.

Try mkv container for better softsub format support.

> I'm attaching some log files so maybe you can see whats wrong.  My
> subtitle files are SubRip format, but I'm also converting them to .ass
> and trying those as well

For future reference you can omit the -report option unless it is
requested. It usually just makes the output excessively verbose.

Also, please fix your quoting in your replies if possible.