[FFmpeg-user] FFMpeg problem using fieldmatch and decimate filters to IVTC

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Mon Jul 21 16:14:07 CEST 2014

Steve Boyer wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Originally, I posted this to the wrong mailing list and had a request to
> execute an ffprobe command. I am reposting and including the output of the
> commands.
>
> The ffprobe.txt file is for the sample.vob and the ffprobe.4.18.txt is for
> the full, ~2GB vob.
>
> I'm trying to encode a large number of videos so I can watch them on my
> phone, but not having luck doing a proper IVTC using the fieldmatch and
> decimate filters. I have compiled from source yesterday afternoon as
> outlined on https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu. Using the
> command:

Sometimes the simple == best.

Since the data related to these videos... is very odd... seems some videos
contain streams with varying frame rates + maybe switching between interlaced
and noninterlaced... trying to transcode this footage might send ffmpeg to
the loony bin (loose it's marbles).

Try a two stage approach...

1) transcode each video with no filters to produce normalized footage, same
    frame rate, noninterlaced.

2) apply your filters to the normalized footage.

This may make your transcoding adventure bearable to enjoyable...