[FFmpeg-user] ERROR: freetype2 not found Issue with FFmpeg 2.2.5 "Muybridge"

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Mon Jul 21 15:48:55 CEST 2014

Resham Shrivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had downloaded  FFmpeg 2.2.5 "Muybridge" from
> https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html  on my ubuntu 14.04 LTS. and when i am
> trying to configure with --enable-libfreetype :-
>
> It throws error ERROR: freetype2 not found ...
>
> Can you let me know the reason.. i had also attached config.log
>
> Thanks

This is a persistent problem.

I explained this problem months ago...

     https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2013-November/151405.html

to which a dirt simple fix was suggested...

     https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2013-November/151406.html

And... Lots of discussion + no fix...

The problem is freetype changed their directory structure + ffmpeg
(as of git pull few minutes ago) still seems to look for the old
directory structure.

In my build script, I scrape ffmpeg's configure script + if ffmpeg is
broken (still looking for old directory structure) I add a symlink
to fix the problem.

You can also, just do this manually once + forget it... Try this...

     ln -sf /opt/local/include/freetype2 /opt/local/include/freetype2/freetype

I'm using MacPorts so /opt/local is the prefix I use. You can discover your
prefix (if you're running a Linux/Unix distro) by...

     locate ft2build.h

or...

     locate freetype.h