[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg for a joomla video website

Jan Ehrhardt phpdev at ehrhardt.nl
Sun Jul 20 22:32:40 CEST 2014

Reindl Harald in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user (Sun, 20 Jul 2014 18:27:40
+0200):
>Am 20.07.2014 17:13, schrieb Jan Ehrhardt:
>
>> If you want direct access from within PHP to the videofiles, I would not
>> recommend ffmpeg-php. With some trouble you can get it to compile, but
>> only with FFmpeg 0.6:
>
>unacceptable - WTF 0.6?!
>don't recommned such crap in the public

Which part of 'I would not recommend ffmpeg-php' escaped your attention?

>> There is e new PHP extension which uses FFmpeg: php-av.
>> Documentation: https://github.com/chung-leong/av/wiki
>
>and what can that stuff do?
>nothing!

I have never used php-av, so I cannot really comment on that. I just
wanted to point out there is a new kid on the block.

FYI: I am still using ffmpeg-php, for 2 purposes. FFmpeg-php is by far
the easiest way to make a thumbnail of a frame in a videofile. All other
methods I know of use calls to the OS. That is much more a security risk
than using even an old ffmpeg-php.

The other purpose is that I use ffmpeg-php to determine if a video is
4:3 or 16:9. Once again without system calls.

Making thumbnails can be done by php-av's 'av_stream_read_image':
https://github.com/chung-leong/av/wiki/av_stream_read_image

And geting the dimensions of a videofile by 'av_file_stat':
https://github.com/chung-leong/av/wiki/av_file_stat

I guess that the very limited functionality of ffmpeg-php is completely
covered by php-av. There may come a time when I will switch from
php-ffmpeg to php-av.

Jan

Jan