[FFmpeg-user] live link in a video?

Oliver Fromme oliver at fromme.com
Sun Jul 6 18:34:03 CEST 2014

Spencer Graves wrote:
 > On 7/6/2014 2:34 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Spencer Graves wrote:
 > > >        Is there a way to include a live link in a video, so a user could
 > > > stop the video, click on the link, and have it go there?  If yes, how?
 > > >
 > > >        For example, is there a way to include a live link in a png (or
 > > > similar image file) that can be preserved by ffmpeg?
 > >
 > > No, the PNG standard does not support that.
 > >
 > > However, URLs can be included in general-purpose TXT chunks
 > > inside a PNG file, but I'm not aware of any software that
 > > would interpret this as a "live link" that would be preserved
 > > as such during conversion.
 > >
 > > Another possibility, of course, would be to include a QR code
 > > or DataMatrix code in the image contents itself, but I assume
 > > that's not what you have in mind.
 >

 >        Thanks for this.  Might it be feasible to include such in a
 > subtitle?

You mean a QR code (or similar)?  Yes, certainly, but it will
not be a "live link" that you can click.  A player would have
to implement such a feature, and I'm not aware of any player
(software nor hardware) that does that.

The only thing you can do with a QR code is to scan it with a
smartphone (then your smartphone's browser will open the linked
web page), or -- if you want to open the webpage on your PC --
make a screen shot and feed it into an online decoder like
xing.org or webqr.com (there are hundreds like these).  There
are also browser plugins (for Firefox and Opera, maybe others,
too).

But all of that is not exactly what you want, according to
your description.  The only thing that comes close is the way
Youtube (and some other online video sites) embed links into
their videos, but these only work with Youtube's own player.
I don't think that there is any generic video software that
supports this.  ffmpeg certainly does not.

Best regards
   Oliver

--
``We are all but compressed light'' (Albert Einstein)