[FFmpeg-user] Objectively best deinterlacer?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jan 24 14:02:22 CET 2014

Leo Izen <leo.izen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/22/2014 03:47 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Leo Izen <leo.izen <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Is there any filter which is objectively best at
> >> deinterlacing? I like the results from -filter:v 'pp=fd'
> >
> > Sorry, but imo it is ridiculous to compare fd (which
> > is not a true deinterlacer) with yadif.

To elaborate: I used fd before yadif was written, but
yadif is over seven years old, so there should be no
reason to use fd (except for some comparison but I
would be surprised if you get any results we don't
know yet). Note that before yadif was written, many
developers preferred pp=ld (I did not).

> I did not realize that all deinterlacers double the
> framerate.

Not all do.
But assuming the interlacing was not done in the camera
but through an interlace filter, the original frame
rate was halved, so the best approach is to double the
frame rate (back to the original).
Even if the recording was interlaced, to keep all
temporal information that is available in the input
video, you will have to double the output frame rate.
(This is completely independent from what yadif does
by default.)

(And after more thinking: Maybe the author of w3fdif
prefers it over yadif because he compared double
w3fdif frame rate with half yadif frame rate but this
is only evil guessing, I did not test myself.)

> Using yadif, what output framerate options would I
> use to deinterlace 60i input (actually 59.94, but
> whatever)?

This depends on your use case.

> Would I add "-r 29.97" or should I let it use its
> default of 59.94?

Please don't, set the yadif mode depending on what
output frame rate you want.