[FFmpeg-user] Command Line Args identical to VLC's Profile "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)"?

Gan Uesli Starling gan at starling.us
Fri Jan 24 04:31:12 CET 2014

Can anyone give me a command line encoding example for FFmpeg identical
to VLC's default profile "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)"?

The way I'm doing MP4's now works fine on Linux (both MoivePlayer and
VLC) and also on Windows for VLC but not at all for WMP. This is a
problem because I don't make them only for me, but also for work where
they have to distribute to customers that won't or can't use VLC and
insist they must also play in WMP. How I'm fixing that now is to
post-convert them using VLC. I'd very like to bypass that step and
achieve VLC's good results on my own. Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Ĝan Starling