[FFmpeg-user] Questions about w3fdif deinterlacing

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jan 17 02:42:22 CET 2014

Seth Parker <csparker247 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Here's a zip with the sample as well as some tests I ran:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13015285/ffmpeg_samples.zip

$ ffmpeg -i sample.mov -vf idet -f null -
reports:
Single frame detection: TFF:149 BFF:0 Progressive:0 Undetermined:0
Multi frame detection: TFF:149 BFF:0 Progressive:0 Undetermined:0
$ ffmpeg -i sample.mov -vf yadif=1:parity=tff -qscale 2 out.avi
works as expected.

I couldn't find the parity option for w3fdif;-(

[...]

> ffmpeg -i sample.mov -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p
> -vf "idet, w3fdif" sample_idet_w3fdif.mp4

As said, this makes no sense.
(There is no magic in idet that makes the command work.
I suspect it is easy to implement the "magic" somehow
but I doubt it would work well: "Undetermined" frames
are not unusual.)

Please do not top-post here, it is considered rude.