[FFmpeg-user] Reversing PAL->NTSC telecining.

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 15:02:51 CET 2014

> On Monday, January 13, 2014 12:50 PM, Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >>  On Monday, January 13, 2014 12:43 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos
> <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
>
>>  > Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>>   Which of these vob's do you want?
>>
>>  One that allows to reproduce your problem.
>>  (Absurd memory consumption on remuxing vob to mkv iirc.)
>>
>>  Carl Eugen
>
> I'm uploading a 2GB file that shows this behavior, named robbins-2.vob.  Eta
> for upload 8pm EST (1am GMT.)
>
> -Nick

Ok, switched to git-head just to be sure that this is not already fixed. No change. I also found an easier way to create a test case.

$ dd if=IN.vob of=five.vob bs=1K count=270K
$ for x in {1..20}; do cat five.vob >> five-long.vob; done

$ fmpeg -y -fflags +genpts -i five.vob  -map 0:v -c copy -f matroska /dev/null

finishes in 1 minute and reports a duration of 4:58.44

$ fmpeg -y -fflags +genpts -i five-long.vob  -map 0:v -c copy -f matroska /dev/null

hangs at 4:47.27 and memory footprint grows to over 1.7G resident. I stopped it after 7 minutes when it started thrashing the disk.

I've uploaded five.vob if that helps.

It has similar behavior if I use the output of

$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc=s=ntsc -target ntsc-dvd -t 300 short.mpg

but the memory usage doesn't climb as quickly.

-Nick