[FFmpeg-user] Aspect Ratios: DAR, SAR and Frame Size

Adi Shavit adishavit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 16:11:39 CET 2014

Hi Rio,

  Thanks for the prompt reply.

the DAR and SAR are applied on playback by the player you use. 352x240 are
> the actual pixels stored in the file.

This basically answers my last question.

> By default ffmpeg stretches you image to the dimensions you specify, no
> padding or cropping is done. <snip>

If I understand what you say, then if I didn't specify any special
dimensions, then ffmpeg will not do any stretching?

But, if DAR and SAR are applied only on playback (by any respectable
player), wouldn't they be applied by *ffmpeg itself *when encoding to a new
file format or, say, when saving frames as JPGs?

Thanks,
Adi