[FFmpeg-user] Reversing PAL->NTSC telecining.

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 02:34:02 CET 2014

> On Monday, January 6, 2014 8:05 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> > Nicholas Robbins <nickrobbins <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>  uploaded robbins.vob
>
> Seems to work without forcing an input frame rate
> or do I miss something?

Well, you missed something I didn't tell you, ffmpeg can't see the subtitles in the vob. Also, the vob doesn't seem to store the languages of the subtitles or the audio tracks. I want to keep all of those. Iirc ffmpeg sees the audio tracks in a different order than they are listed on the dvd sometimes. So I use lsdvd to find the subtitle tracks and their languages and the langauges of the audio trakcs, and then I use mplayer to extract the subtitles, and then put them back together with mkvmerge.

Then I inspect the file to determine interlacing or telescine, and then transcode with the appropriate filters.

The mkv is mostly serving as a place to store the separate streams and their metadata that doesn't come out in the vob.

> [...]
>
>>  >>
> fieldmatch=order=tff:combmatch=full,yadif=deint=interlaced,decimate
>>  >
>>  > I think this does not always work correctly so you should
>>  > probably only use it if necessary for your sample.
>
>>  What would "not work correctly" look like?
>
> You would still see interlaced frames after the
> inverse telecine process.

So, it doesn't do anything? Rather than doing too much.