[FFmpeg-user] I'm playing audio on my Linux PC from the WWW. Can I record it to a file with ffmpeg?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 12:32:35 CET 2014

> > Can ffmpeg do this?
>
> FFmpeg can record from alsa, oss, jack and pulse (and
> this is of course documented).
>
> Carl Eugen

Excellent.  Now, can you please show me where it's documented, and I
can read that, then capture audio with ffmpeg.  I've tried many things
and here is an example:

> ffmpeg -f alsa -i hw:0,2 alsaout.wav
ffmpeg version 0.8.9-4:0.8.9-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the Libav developers
  built on Nov  9 2013 19:12:07 with gcc 4.6.3
*** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.
[alsa @ 0x8806a80] cannot open audio device hw:0,2 (No such file or directory)
hw:0,2: Input/output error