[FFmpeg-user] Best way to scale interlaced video

Massimo Battistel battistel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:13:42 CET 2014

> > > Do you really need 4:3 aspect?

Yes, and with black bars above and below (to keep aspect).

> That's correct; it's the 'interl' option to '-vf scale'.

Correct. If you look at the first message I wrote, that's solution #1.
But, as I told previously, the resulting video is not good as expected.

You can see the issue with any 1080i video using the following command line:

ffmpeg -i sample1080i.mp4 -vcodec rawvideo -vf
scale=w=720:h=432:interl=1,pad=720:576:0:72
-acodec pcm_s16le -ac 2 -ar 48000 out.avi

When image is not moving, you can see that horizontal lines have bad
quality while vertical ones are fine.

The solution #2 (the one with yadif and tinterlace) gives artifacts and
Moiré effects on moving video, but gives very good still images (horizontal
and vertical line have the same quality).

Thanks,
MB